Fourth Wall Films
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Group Name for 2011-2012

5 posters

Go down

Group Name for 2011-2012 Empty Group Name for 2011-2012

Post  ortegar3 6/6/2011, 2:40 pm

Hello everybody,

As you all probably know, Nick is taking the Electric Shadow Shorts name with him once he graduates. This means that we need to come up with an equally awesome, new title for our group that portrays the sheer magnitude of our level of win. There has been talk of keeping the "ESS" acronym, but we need to figure out what the heck it stands for. Kyle and I ultimately have the last say, but I think it's a good idea to open it up for discussion. We'd love any input, even if it means changing the name to something that is not strictly "ESS".

I would ideally like to have a name before the info fair next year so people will have an official name to lock into instead of "this group that used to be called something else but doesn't have a new name quite yet".

Thoughts? Ideas? Post them here!

-Becca

ortegar3

https://www.facebook.com/mfbxortega

Back to top Go down

Group Name for 2011-2012 Empty Re: Group Name for 2011-2012

Post  Kyle W 6/6/2011, 3:04 pm

Good idea, Becca. We do need to get the name sorted out for next year, not just for ourselves, but also for Nick.

I'm personally of the opinion that what we pick should be something that can stick with KVIK permanently. It would be good if the name could easily give a clear indication of what we do as well. Something like "KVIK Short Films" would be very succinct and to the point. Although I know that is not very flashy, or catchy.

I would probably lean towards something short, generic and to the point, like of a "KVIK Short Films" nature. Again, a name like this is much more functional in nature than catchy, but if any members have strong feelings about the name of the group going forward - I would definitely like to hear from you before we make the change!

Kyle W

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert.Bojorquez 6/6/2011, 3:22 pm

ortegar3 wrote:
I would ideally like to have a name before the info fair next year so people will have an official name to lock into instead of "this group that used to be called something else but doesn't have a new name quite yet".

-Becca

I would like to have the name cemented as soon as possible so we can market the hell out of KVIK next year, and even over the summer. KVIK has definitely become a significant part of the WWU atmosphere after this year, and I don't want to lose any of our momentum.

I think the name should still have the 'Shorts' piece to it, just because that's what we're making. Alliteration is also something I think it should have. Shadow Shorts was strong with that double Sh, and I think the first word could easily set up a rhythm to the name. So if it was ______ Sh____ Shorts, I feel like that would not be so confusing to people who know about us already, and it will attract new people as well also.

I also agree with looking for longevity in the name, so we don't have to be changing it every year lol. So ideally, something general but also flashy and exciting would be perfect.

Robert.Bojorquez

Back to top Go down

Post  ortegar3 6/6/2011, 3:42 pm

Robert.Bojorquez wrote:
I would like to have the name cemented as soon as possible so we can market the hell out of KVIK next year, and even over the summer. KVIK has definitely become a significant part of the WWU atmosphere after this year, and I don't want to lose any of our momentum.

Amen, Robert. Do you happen to know if Dizney is doing any sort of Intro to Cinema classes this summer? I think either Kyle or myself should talk to them at some point so we can grab 'em while they're hot.

I also like the idea of alliteration, but it needs to be to the point. Maybe something along the structural lines of "Flashy/Exciting Name: KVIK Short Films"? That way, we can have the pop that "Electric Shadow" had, in addition to an informative name that can stick. Hopefully other members will post so that Kyle can take their thoughts into consideration and make a final decision.

ortegar3

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyle W 6/6/2011, 4:07 pm

ortegar3 wrote:
Amen, Robert. Do you happen to know if Dizney is doing any sort of Intro to Cinema classes this summer? I think either Kyle or myself should talk to them at some point so we can grab 'em while they're hot.

Yeah, Patrick is teaching Intro to Acting, Acting for the Camera and Intro to Cinema this summer. I can talk to him and speak to all those classes, I'm sure it won't be a problem. It would be great if you could join me if you are available Becca - I feel like it comes across better when a pair presents to a group, but if not I can definitely take care of it by myself.

I also would like a "__ Sh__ Shorts" name, I'm just not coming up with anything off the top of my head. I'm sure we can figure something creative and effective out. I'd like to shoot for an official name change right around 2 weeks after finals get out. That way people will be free to help generate ideas and give their thoughts, and it will be done soon enough for promoting the group.

Would this be soon enough for your end of things Robert??

Kyle W

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Sutherland 6/6/2011, 4:21 pm

Just my two cents:

"KVIK Short Films" doesn't sound good to me in any way. At least for me, it's felt like ESS has been somewhat distant from KVIK and I like that. It makes the production seem more independent and, honestly, better.

And as far as "Shorts" having to stay in the title, I don't see why. And I'm not sure why we'd need to hang on to ESS, that really limits the possibilities for names.

I think it'd be nice for the group to have the ending "Films" or "Productions" and to stay away from the word collaborative, it sounds pretentious.

Matthew Sutherland

Back to top Go down

Post  ortegar3 6/6/2011, 4:39 pm

Kyle W wrote:
Yeah, Patrick is teaching Intro to Acting, Acting for the Camera and Intro to Cinema this summer. I can talk to him and speak to all those classes, I'm sure it won't be a problem. It would be great if you could join me if you are available Becca - I feel like it comes across better when a pair presents to a group, but if not I can definitely take care of it by myself.

I'll look into what times they're at, but I can probably accompany you just fine Smile

ortegar3

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyle W 6/6/2011, 5:35 pm

Awesome Becca!

Thanks for chiming in Matt. We definitely don't have to limit ourselves to any specific words like "shorts" and I think collaborative doesn't sound good in general either. So far, the only criteria I think will be important to adhere to for whatever name we select can be narrowed down to these:

1. The name should be short (probably 3 words)
2. The name should give some indication of who we are and what we do
3. The name should age well (ie. be generic and not specific to any year's group of students)
4. The name should sound somewhat professional
5. The name should ideally sound good

Using alliteration is a good way to come up with names that sound good and flow well. Although I think it would be good to focus on finding a name that fulfills these objectives rather than trying to stick to a preset format. Once we start coming up with specific ideas, then we can really start worrying about the details.

It sounds like you like the autonomy of ESS in respect to its place within KVIK, Matt. I don't think we necessarily have to have KVIK in the name either. We are apart of KVIK and do get all of our funding and equipment through them though. However, to stress the creative independence of the group, we could simply use a word like "independent." I do like to have a word that gives some indication of where we are from or who we are (students). To that end, something like "Western Independent Films" could be a good place to start. WIF. haha... or maybe "Western Independent Student Films" - more than 3 words, but sounds professional.

We really just need to start generating ideas, good or bad, so we can get a sense of what we have to choose from. As long as we keep the goals stated above in mind, we should just start throwing ideas into the mix. Here's a list of words off of the top of my head that could be possible choices: Western, Independent, Student, Films, KVIK, Shorts, Movies (this never sounds good), etc... let's just go nuts and post anything that comes to mind for a bit, before we start to narrow it down.

Kyle W

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew Sutherland 6/6/2011, 5:45 pm

I like the idea of having Western in the group name, actually. Most times when I tell people that I'm in ESS, they don't know what Electric Shadow Shorts refers to and I end up saying filmmaking club or something synonymous instead of ESS.

And while having Western in the name is good to me, we should be careful to make it not seem like it's an actual part of the university--like "WWU Films" to me would indicate that it was a functioning part of the university, not a student-run organization.

And I think it's also important to recognize that a great idea and a terrible idea are often very similar.

That being said, WIF is a...for some reason disconcerting acronym, not sure why. Now, "Western Student Films" sounds good in acronym form...WSF.

Also, keeping things to three words works well especially if the words don't include Films, Productions, or Shorts. Then you can do things like the following:

WSF Productions
MKO Films

(I just used MKO without any meaning for the acronym, and WSF doesn't work well since F means Films there, but you get what I'm trying to say with the examples)

Matthew Sutherland

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyle W 6/6/2011, 5:57 pm

All excellent points and ideas, Matt.

I actually have to finish up some papers and then head in to work, but I'll check back in soon. I definitely think we are getting on the right track though.

And Yes, WIF would be absolutely terrible, haha.

Kyle W

Back to top Go down

Post  eschybach 6/6/2011, 11:12 pm

What about something like Chuckanut Ridge Reels?

eschybach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum